Now that the vaccinations for all residents in the East Kennet area are being covered from two sites – Ramsbury and Pewsey, Marlborough & District LINK which is a voluntary organisation but set up to provide transport for the elderly and vulnerable in the community will be needing more volunteer drivers to ferry the elderly residents from their homes to the centre where their vaccination is scheduled for, and back home again.
Marlborough & District LINK has been operating for the past twenty three years, making tisanes of journeys every year. Even last year, when the pandemic reduced the demand for travel they made more than 2,300 trips for the elderly and vulnerable, compared to the previous year (2019 – a ‘normal’ year) where they made nearly 5,400 trips, covering 37,333 miles in total.
Some of the motivations of becoming a LINK volunteer are:-
- Commitment to the aims of a LINK Scheme.
- Meeting people and making new friends. Volunteering is a very social activity.
- Giving back to your community by addressing specific problems in the community.
- Keeping active and connected.
- Using existing skills and learning new skills.
- Having fun.
- Feeling useful
- Getting out of the house.