
As revealed by Marlborough News Online on February 6, Renaissance Retirement wants to build 28 apartments in the Arts & Crafts style – with sweeping, sprocketedroofs, Voysey dormers and large chimneys – at the site, with a view to opening in 2016 if planning permission is granted.
A public exhibition of the plans was held at Marlborough Bowls Club on Thursday.
The company – which was behind the first retirement apartments at HRH Prince of Wales’ Poundbury development in Dorchester – has employed heritage consultant James Webb, a former English Heritage employee, who is advising Renaissance Retirement on the most appropriate building design for the site.
Renaissance Retirement managing director Robert Taylor said: “We have received a lot of positive support for our design which is very encouraging.
“A number of locals asked us when we would submit a planning application. The truth is we will now try to incorporate some of the valid comments and views into our scheme. We will then have a pre-application meeting with the local authority and once they are satisfied we would hope to submit the application with officers and local support.”
Nick Watkins, development director at Renaissance Retirement, said: “We have received considerable interest in our proposed scheme from local residents. Before we buy a site we undertake a feasibility study to ensure there is a need within the town.
“Our research reinforces that there is a strong demand for independent retirement apartments in Marlborough and the location fits our development profile.
“We have received a lot of interest from the publicity so far. From the number of people who have already requested more information, if we are successful with our planning application, we are confident we have the right product and location.”
“Our research has shown that in Marlborough alone over four thousand residents are over the retirement age and combine that with the wider 65-85 age demographic living outside the town and you have a big demand for independent retirement living developments.
“This has already been borne out by the number of enquiries we have already received – and we are still at early planning stages.
Nick added: “Research estimates over £400 billion of housing wealth is tied up in properties where owners desperately wish to scale down. Renaissance’s proposed retirement development in Marlborough offers an ideal opportunity for those people approaching their later years who aspire to downsize. This would also free up family homes to tackle the housing shortage.
“The spacious one and two bedroom apartments will be impeccably finished with contemporary interiors, whilst owners will also have access to a sumptuous lounge and guest suite, which will be available to visiting friends and relatives.”
However, the proposal has not been universally welcomed, with many readers bemoaning the provision of more accommodation for older people on Marlborough News Online’s Facebook page.
The exhibition was held on the same day that Wiltshire planners gave the go-ahead for McCarthy and Stone to build 27 retirement apartments at the foot of Granham Hill, and in the same week that contractors for Beechcroft Developments’ new 64-bed care home with 28 assisted living units at Salisbury Road started digging up the highway to lay cables for the site.









