Responsible to Shop Manager
Part-Time 7.5hrs (1 day per weekend, on a flexible basis to be agreed. This may include working on a Bank Holiday)
Location Predominantly at our Marlborough shop. You may also be required to work at any of our other Prospect Hospice locations and be requested to work additional hours/days where resource cover is required.
Prospect Hospice provides a broad range of End of Life Care services across Swindon and North East Wiltshire. The Hospice has an outstanding local reputation and is committed to ensuring that the patients and families we provide comfort and care for each year continue to receive an exceptional level of support towards the end of their lives as well as helping to influence and enhance best practice in End of Life Care with other providers.
- Main purpose & scope
The prime purpose of this role is to assist the Shop Manager and Assistant Manager with the day-to-day shop operations, contributing to maximising the income the shop makes for the hospice across multi-sites. This includes ensuring that the right products are identified to appeal to the location’s existing customer base, and are visually merchandised to attract new customers into the shop. Visual merchandising standards to be of the highest standard, reflecting the brand values of Prospect Hospice. The ideal candidate will be an active and important element in the day-to-day operational running, and decision-making, for the shop.
Using your excellent customer service skills, you will treat every customer and donor in a friendly, respectful manner, maximising Gift Aid donations and helping to cross promote our products and services.
You will have a good knowledge of the retail sector, including the ability to identify high net worth products, and equally identify fake goods.
You will actively support the shop management team to ensure the shop environment is a positive place, helping to
encourage new volunteers into the shop team and working effectively with all staff and volunteers.
- Key accountabilities and areas of responsibility:
Responsibilities will include but will not be restricted to:
- Sales: to be part of the team and take an active role in building the sales, achieving the daily targets, taking
every opportunity to increase sales through stock rotation, and processing.
- Volunteers: To actively support the recruitment of new volunteers, working alongside the present team.
- Customer service: Provide excellent customer service to all of our donors, customers and staff, to give a
positive experience of Prospect Hospice and help to ensure repeat support.
- Gift Aid: Take every opportunity to increase our GA income, through correct processing of stock, donor sign
up and responding to donor queries.
- Stock: Process stock to our expected standards, price according to the price guide and attractively
merchandise items to maximise potential revenue.
- Cash handling: Adhere to all procedures for till processing and cashing up, to ensure a safe environment for
all team members.
- Security: Be aware of security and Health & Safety at all times, to provide a safe environment for both
people and stock. To be a key holder when the situation demands.
- Manage housekeeping duties to maintain a clean and tidy environment.
- Keep updated, and comply with, Prospect Hospice’s Policies and Procedures and/or any regulatory
- Undertake any reasonable task as directed by your Manager, the Head of Retail, Retail Team Leader or any
other member of the management team, as may be deemed appropriate within the scope of the job.
- Complete all required training as required by Retail, Hospice Management and/or HR.
- Provide cover and support across our different stores in the absence of the Shop Manager or Assistant Shop
4. Key Contacts:
- Shop Manager
- Assistant Managers
- Head of Retail
- Retail Team Leader
- Distribution Centre staff
5. Skills, Knowledge & Experience:
- Confident with good interpersonal skills, including customer service and relationship management
- Ability to work as part of a team and on own, using initiative when required
- Retail/merchandising/display experience
- Competency in IT ( e-mails, MS Office Word as minimum)
- To have an interest/knowledge of fashion and trends in retail
- As the post-holder is required to be a key-holder, applicants must be over the age of 18
- Commitment to, and ability to demonstrate, Prospect Hospice ASPIRE values and behaviours at all times
- Able to maintain the highest professional standards at all times, and act as a true ambassador for the
- To be authentic, open honest and transparent
- Have a track record of working inclusively and a genuine appreciation of the value of diversity
- Be flexible in approach – you may be required to work additional hours/days and at locations other than our
- Marlborough shop, as business needs require. Access to transportation may therefore be opportune.