Hours: 37 hours per week over two shift patterns:
10:30 – 18:30 (11:00 Friday) and 13:00 – 21:00 (13:30 Friday)
Working Weeks: 52 weeks per year
Salary Grade: Points 8 – 15
Salary: 3 Point Band between Scale Points 8-15 £22,777-£25,878
General Description of Post:
The postholder will be responsible to the Site Manager for the duties of the post and will assist with the management of the buildings and grounds as well as the team of premises staff when the Site Manager is off-shift or off site. The responsibilities entailed within the role will develop over time and the individual appointed must be both proactive and ambitious.
A degree of flexibility is required for this role. The Site Team provides a presence on site from 07:00 – 21:00 on weekdays and occasional hours over the weekend. This position will operate over a two-shift rota – 10:30 – 18:30 (11:00 Friday) and 13:00 – 21:00 (13:30 Friday). We are able to offer some flexible working during School Holidays when there are fewer lettings and a reduction in academy opening hours.
1. Specific responsibilities will include:
- Acting as deputy to the Site Manager. This will include taking responsibility for the site, contacting contractors as necessary and making decisions regarding site maintenance and safety issues in line with current strategies and policies.
- Assisting with the management of the St John’s in-house site supervisor and grounds person.
- Management of maintenance works, visiting contractors and overseeing the general upkeep and presentation of the school environment. This includes working with an electronic fault reporting and recording system and prioritising reported and emergent maintenance issues.
- The security of the School Buildings. This includes acting as keyholder, unlocking and securing the site as required and providing out of hours cover as part of a rota. (additional fee payable)
- To provide Lone-Worker Support in the evenings in the absence of the Site Manager (additional fee payable)
- Assisting in the management of buildings related systems. This includes operating and maintaining the Fire Alarm and Security Alarms as well as operating other systems such as heating, cooling and lighting optimally and efficiently
- Carrying out and recording compliance checks on equipment, fixtures and systems using established check sheets and policies.
- Assisting with set ups and project work in cooperation with all departments in the academy.
- To PAT test equipment on an ad-hoc basis. Appropriate training will be provided
- To assist in the project management of complex premises projects which includes building design, construction of interiors etc.
- To proactively plan projects including risk assessment, compliance and resources.
- To undertake skilled tasks as required such as basic plumbing, tiling, painting and decorating, woodworking etc.
- To carry out maintenance tasks independently or with other Site staff including minor repair works, upkeep of washroom fittings, furniture repair, assembly of equipment etc., as well as external works such as repairing block paving, fencing, hedge trimming and general grounds upkeep.
- To carry out gritting and snow clearance as necessary.
- Driving of school minibus for maintenance for site matters.
2. Other Duties:
The list of duties as above is not exhaustive. The postholder may be required to perform duties other than those given in this job description. The particular duties and responsibilities attached to the post may vary from time to time without changing the general character of the duties or level of the responsibility entailed. Such variations are a common occurrence and would not in themselves justify the re-evaluation of the post. In cases, however, where a permanent and substantial change in the duties and responsibilities of the post occur, consistent with a higher level of responsibility, then the post would be eligible for re-evaluation.
Applicants should be in possession of the following qualifications and personal qualities:
5 A-C grade GCSE’s or equivalent (Desirable but not Essential)
Knowledge and Experience:
Building and Premises Maintenance and Security
Responsibility for specific areas of work
Responsibility for specific Staff
Excellent communication skills
Excellent organisational skills
Flexibility with work pattern
Ability to work in a team and alone
Positive attitude to personal development and training
Good sense of humour
If you would like to find out more about working at St John’s Marlborough, please follow this link to the recruitment pages on our website www.stjohns.excalibur.org.uk/about-us/recruitment/
Excalibur Academies Trust reserves the right to appoint before the closing date and is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All applicants will be subject to a full Disclosure and Barring Service check before appointment is confirmed.