Marlborough Rugby: Colts complete a successful weekend for Marlborough Rugby Club with victory in the Dorset & Wiltshire Colts Plate final

Written by Rugby Correspondent on .

Marlborough's winning Colts team, 23-7 victors in the final against Yeovil ColtsMarlborough's winning Colts team, 23-7 victors in the final against Yeovil Colts

 Marlborough Colts   23 - 7   Yeovil Colts


On a chilly April Sunday afternoon (14 April) in neutral Frome Marlborough Colts triumphed 23-7 against a strong Yeovil Colts team to win the Dorset and Wiltshire Colts Plate final.  


The early stages of the game proved to be extremely close with Yeovil’s huge pack pushing the Marlborough forwards hard and the game was played largely in the centre of the pitch.  As the game moved on Marlborough found some more space and they then started to push forward with Henry Adamson eventually converting a penalty kick to give a three-point lead.

Marlborough pushed on to increase the advantage, and after some great running and passing play from the backs, Harry Lipscome, ran over the first try, although the conversion narrowly missed, leaving Marlborough 8-0 in front.

After continued pressure from the entire Marlborough team a second penalty was converted by Henry Adamson, and then Matt Huish ran in a second try which was successfully converted by Henry Adamson, leaving Marlborough 18-0 in front at half time.

In the second half Yeovil came out strong and determined to even up the score and for over twenty five minutes Marlborough were forced to defend their line, time and time again with two held up decisions correctly given by the referee.

Eventually, Marlborough broke free and Sam Waddell ran in the third and final try which without a successful conversion gave Marlborough a 23-0 advantage.

Finally, in the dying minutes of the game, Yeovil got a reward for all their hard work and scored a converted try leaving the final score at 23-7 to Marlborough, and therefore Marlborough were the winners of the Dorset and Wiltshire Colts Plate.