Marlborough Rugby: Strong start to the New Year at home against Wimborne

Written by Charlie Webb on .

Marlborough scrum half Will Grant waiting for the callMarlborough scrum half Will Grant waiting for the call

Marlborough  39 - 15  Wimborne


Marlborough kicked off, attacking towards the town and received an early wave of Wimborne pressure.  They had the ball camped for the first few minutes inside the Marlborough half.  However, Marlborough grew into the game.  On fourteen minutes the breakthrough arrived.  Jonty Kaywent over the line after a rather scrappy sequence of play, however the try was coming.  Will Grant provided a beautifully taken kick from thirty metres to convert the try. 7-0.

Marlborough had the early control in the scrum and used it well to win the ball back on occasions.  The game ebbed and flowed, but ten minutes later Wimborne were awarded a penalty right under the posts and the visitors took 3 points. 7-3.

Two minutes later Marlborough responded. MacDonald Lewis cleverly chipped the ball wide to Rhodri Campbell who ran powerfully to the line to score a great try.  Will Grant was on hand to add the conversion points with another sublime kick.  14-3.

Four minutes later Grant stretched Marlborough’s lead another 3 points with a penalty kick. 17-3.  However, Wimborne came back at Marlborough once more.  They put in a spell of good pressure and broke the line twice with some nice passing and running.  Marlborough held them up on the line and defended bravely for five minutes but Wimborne eventually scored on thirty two minutes and converted. 17-10.

From the restart, MacDonald Lewis’ kick was brilliantly caught by Ben Caravouand Marlborough put themselves right back on the front foot.  Lemeki Moala’s surge was held up on the line, but a penalty had been awarded in the build-up. Marlborough gambled and elected to scrum.  Another good push was held up, but yet again a penalty had been awarded.  This time, Marlborough used the ball quickly and spread it left for Garth Bariwho touched it down.  Will Grant converted to put Marlborough 24-10 ahead at half-time. 

Wimborne started the second half and came out with intent.  For five minutes they bossed the play and earned a deserved try on 46 minutes when a sharp attack down the left cut through Marlborough’s defence.  The conversion was missed.  24-15.

The next ten minutes of the game were to be very important;  Wimborne continued to pile on pressure and looked dangerous.  Marlborough, however, won a lineout 10m from the try line following a kick to touch.  Marlborough made the most of this small bit of territory and piled everyone into a huge maul and pushed over to score and to extend the lead on fifty three minutes.  Will Grant’s kick was perfect once again. 31-15.

A moment of magic added more points to Marlborough’s total on sixty minutes.  Ben Fulton put through an inch-perfect grubber kick to the corner and Ben Caravou dived to collect it and score.  It was a sensational try.  From wide left, Will Grant’s kick sailed just wide:  36-15.

Wimborne pushed and pushed for the final knockings of the game but just could not break through the valiant Marlborough defending.  They were not helped by the game being frequently stopped for injuries preventing any momentum building up.  A twenty minute spell of possession in the Marlborough half came to nothing. 

After breaking out, Marlborough clinched the game with a last-minute attack, despite being a man down.  Wimborne held Marlborough up on the line but gave a penalty away in doing so which gave Will Grant the chance to finish off the game.  He kicked successfully as he done all throughout the match to make the final score 39-15.

This was a hard-fought and grinding win for Marlborough who are now level on points with Banbury who they face away from home next week.  A game which will be hugely important in the context of the season.  Next Saturday Marlborough II will be at home on the Common to Cricklade who they put 69 points on when they last met.

With the last play of the game, a solid team performance was rounded off by a quality team try when the ball was spread wide left and Mitieli Vulikijapani unselfishly offloaded to Will Grant to take Marlborough to a 44-point total.  The try was not converted, and the final whistle blew:  44-0.

Marlborough face Trowbridge away next Saturday and will look to widen the gap between them and  Royal Wootton Bassett who fell to Old Centralians on Saturday.


Ben Fulton and MacDonald LewisBen Fulton and MacDonald LewisGarth BariGarth BariJack LyndJack LyndJack Lynd, Todd Johnson & Ben FultonJack Lynd, Todd Johnson & Ben FultonLemeki Moala, Todd Johnson, Mitieli Vulikijapani & Sam GouldbournLemeki Moala, Todd Johnson, Mitieli Vulikijapani & Sam GouldbournLemeki Moala, Todd Johnson, Mitieli Vulikijapani & Sam GouldbournLemeki Moala, Todd Johnson, Mitieli Vulikijapani & Sam GouldbournLotu Ngungutau, Ash Horner and Todd JohnsonLotu Ngungutau, Ash Horner and Todd Johnson