Philip Whitehead now confirmed as new Leader of Wiltshire Council
Philip Whitehead, recently elected as Leader of the Conservative group on Wiltshire Council has today (9 July) been apponted Leader of Wiltshire Council and Cabinet member for Finance, Procurement and Economic Development at a meeting of all 98 councillors.
Cllr Whitehead has represented Urchfont and The Cannings since 2013, and takes over from Baroness Scott of Bybrook OBE, who recently stood down from the position. John Thomson also stood down from his role as Deputy Leader.
Philip was selected to be Cabinet member for Highways and Public Transport in 2014, and more recently became Cabinet member for Finance in 2017.
Cllr Whitehead said: “Jane has done a fantastic job of leading this wonderful council, and it would be remiss of me not to thank her on behalf of the people of Wiltshire for that. I have been working for Jane for the last six years, so we won’t be veering too far from what she started here 10 years ago.
“I believe that local authorities should work as efficiently as possible, as they are spending residents’ hard earned money. There are some areas that I would like to make changes to help ensure this is the case, such as our working more closely with Wiltshire’s town councils and city council. I also want to make sure back benchers and all councillors at Wiltshire Council are working as one.
“Wiltshire is the county I choose to live in, and I love it here. We have such great communities, and I see it as my job, and that of my cabinet, to build on that strong foundation.”
The following members were appointed to the council’s cabinet:
- Councillor Richard Clewer: Deputy Leader of the Council and Cabinet member for Corporate Services, Heritage, Arts, Tourism, Housing and Environment
- Councillor Allison Bucknell: Cabinet member for South Wiltshire Recovery, Communications, Communities, Leisure and Libraries
- Councillor Pauline Church: Cabinet member for Children, Education and Skills
- Councillor Laura Mayes: Cabinet member for Adult Social Care, Public Health and Public Protection
- Councillor Toby Sturgis: Cabinet member for Spatial Planning, Development Management and Property
- Councillor Ian Blair-Pilling: Cabinet member for ICT, Digitalisation and Operational Assets
- Councillor Bridget Wayman: Cabinet member for Highways, Transport and Waste